Thursday, July 2, 2009

PRESS RELEASE: Viola Moriarty at Panda Garden


Bennington painter Viola Moriarty’s exhibit of her most recent work, “blocks of colour," opens with a reception at Panda Garden restaurant, 4519 Main Street / Route 7A in Manchester Center on Sunday, July 12, from 3 to 5 pm. The restaurant will serve appetizers and offer a cash bar. The work will be on display at Panda Garden through the middle of August. All paintings will be available for sale.

“blocks of colour” a collection of nine mixed-media and oil paintings, was inspired by an influential and haunting dream that began after she first began painting in June 2002, Moriarty says.

“I had a dream where certain dead painters and my very alive nephew were at the easel with me and they all kept saying ‘just move the blocks of color around.’ I couldn't understand, so my nephew finally walked forward and magically took apart the canvas and rearranged the color shapes, saying ‘See, just move the blocks of color around!’ At that moment I understood completely, and when I woke up I was sure I knew how to make the paintings in the dream! ...That is, until I got to the studio and realized I had no idea how to make them. I've had this dream so many times over the past seven years. Finally, with a little help from my colorful comrades, the dream is beginning to manifest in my waking life.”