Thursday, April 9, 2009

OPINION: Donating to Art auctions - love 'em? hate 'em? depends on the cause?


This is in response to a question submitted by Marc Awodey and posted on April 6, 2009. Further responses will be posted as they are received

by Bethany Farrell

As an artist, I am in support of the auction concept. Every year I donate to 5-6 different auctions that support causes I believe in. I will concur that artists are frequently solicited for donations. However, I know that a lot of other folks are as well. Why do I donate? It is another way that I can contribute. It is a way for me to help a cause that will make a difference in the lives of others or for the good of the community. I cannot give to every cause that solicits from artists, nor would I want to. Furthermore, I feel that every artist needs to find his/her own way through this sea of auctions and causes. But I do think it is a cynical view to think that the people that organize these events intend to demean the artist or his/her work. When you do give, you hope that your contribution will raise some dollars. Perhaps you will even get a little publicity and yes it helps if you get a bit of the percentage to cover your costs. The bottom line, though, is that when artists give their work, they are giving a little piece of themselves, and that is good for the soul.

above: "Scars" by Bethany Ferrell