Wednesday, October 3, 2012

BURLINGTON: Grace Cothalis - Mandalas, Collages, Pastels at Vintage Jewelers

Opening Reception: Friday October 5, 5-8 pm
Vintage Jewelers
Exhibit Runs: October 5 - November 27, 2012

Grace Cothalis Artist Statement: "I have a strong impulse to make art; it’s what I’m supposed to do. An idea, color or image will be the doorway into another visual and tactile world.

This year I returned to an old and familiar friend – mandalas and color pencils. I started doing mandalas years ago as a way to navigate through a very bumpy patch in my life. I continue to do them because they flow so naturally in expressing my truth. I find the process remarkably meditative.


The new kid on the block is soft pastels. I find the rich intense colors inspiring. I easily imagine the taste of their different flavors. I find interpreting what I see in my mind’s eye with pastels very engaging. It’s so appealing how pastels live in-between drawing and painting.

I love combining mono prints and collages because it encourages spontaneity and recycling. It’s great fun to see what happy accidents and surprises show up. I love the whimsical possibilities. While my mandalas are often carefully laid out and planned the collages occupy a let’s see what happens frame of mind.

 



Thanks for taking the time and letting me share my work with you. I hope you enjoy the visual conversation. - Grace Cothalis

 


An opening reception will take place on Friday, October 5, from 5 to 8 pm at: Vintage Jewelers, 125 College Street, Burlington, Vt.