Thursday, September 2, 2010

PRESS RELEASE: Marcie Vallette at Winding Brook Bistro in Johnson

Horse Meditations
New Paintings by Marcie Valette
Sept 6-Nov 7
Opening Wednesday September 8
Reception 4-6pm

An exhibit of new paintings by local artist Marcie Vallette opens on September 8 at the Winding Brook Bistro. This is an exciting departure from Vallette's work with the East Johnson Plein Air Club that should not be missed – dynamic horse images that convey the calm and grandeur of these stately animals.

In her statement Marcie says:

Along with my passion for horses, I have always had a passion for making art. At the turn of the new year, 2010, I thought this year I’d put the two together. I have been studying Centered Riding, which is an approach to horseback riding that combines aspects of meditation and martial arts. It has added to my already enormous appreciation of this animal. I am using the horse as a launching point to explore other formal aspects in my art, including simple black and white, and using color and paint in a way that is experimental for me. For me, it’s interesting to combine what I’ve learned during my centered riding lessons with what I’m doing in my studio. Breathing meditations while I’m painting is one example of how centered riding has informed my studio practice.

Marcie Vallette has lived in Vermont for over 2 decades, and is originally from the Boston area. A founding member of the East Johnson Plein Air Club, she works both on-site and in her studio. She is also a member of the Bryan Gallery, the NVAA, and the Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators (SCBWI). Vallette has drawn and painted cover art, illustrated, and performed layout and design for books, magazines and numerous other kinds of publications. Exhibitions of her art have appeared regularly for 18 years throughout northern Vermont. She has a BFA from Montserrat College of Art in Beverly, an M.Ed from Johnson State College, and she spent 3 years on staff at the Vermont Studio Center in Johnson. She is currently a first year nursing student at Vermont Technical College.