Tuesday, August 30, 2011

PRESS RELEASE: Rachi Farrow at the Christine Price Gallery, Castleton State College

XXXL
August 30 - October 7, 2011
Opening Reception, September 7 from 4 to 6 pm

Notes on the exhibit by Rachi Farrow:

I won't say much about my work in the 'here's how' category because it's not something I like to do. For me there is true magic in trying to figure out the 'here's how' when it comes to really experiencing art. The less I can figure out on my own the more hooked I am on the art.

I chose to not put titles with the XXXLers for much the same reason. I didn't want to give too much away.

Some of them do have titles - the one with the big pins in it is Marie Laveau (the voodoo queen of New Orleans). The very round one who is playing the role of gallery greeter is Round yon Virgin. Ms. Liberty is the one with a plastic Statue of Liberty pin and several plastic US flags.

And the one over by Marie Laveau is Shventa Marya, please excuse but I don't know how to spell that one. It's St. Mary in Polish. She's named for the very glamorous (oh, the taste of a child!) doll who always had the place of honor on my grandmother's bed. My grandmother used to make her new gowns of satin and lace. I'd run in there to check out that doll first thing every visit. While I was making my Shventa Marya i felt my first ever connection to my grandmother who was mean, bigoted and wore a perpetual frown on her once lovely face for as long as I can remember. I hadn't thought of it until right now, but I am changing the name of my piece to Belle Gordon, even though I didn't like her, that mean grandmother of mine. Those are the only titles - 4 out of 6 so far...

The girls range in height from 8feet to 10+feet. I'm pretty sure they'll be getting somewhat shorter once I finish the one I'm making right now, having found out that trucks are limited in height so as to fit under bridges, etc., and because I didn't make any of my girls with thoughts of potential horizontality... catch my drift!