Monday, September 17, 2012

SHELBURNE: Outside Influences - Drawings and Fabric Collages by Dianne Shullenberger

Opening Reception: Friday, September 21, 6-8 p.m.
Exhibition Dates: September 21– October 23, 2012


Red Branch, image 22"x16", colored pencil
Dianne Shullenberger works in two distinctive mediums that both convey the intricate details found in natural objects and the outside world. Her detailed colored pencil drawings on black paper capture the luminosity that a photograph cannot easily convey. The fabric collages, composed of infinitely shifting shades of silk and other fabrics, transport one into the dimensionality and depth of nature, yet they have a playful surface quality that engages the viewer in a more abstract manner.


Spring Rush, image 20"x13", fabric collage
Shullenberger says of her work: "The places I go, the outdoor activities I do are major influences in my fiber and colored pencil work. I have always wanted my work to take you with me or to provide an opportunity to share these special observations. I am a collector of all natural objects and apply the same philosophy I use when I buy fabric and thread: 'It will have a use sometime.' I love detail so every piece of work is a study of light, texture, color, patterns and weather. When I squint my eyes I see objects fractured into the many colors that make up the shape. Layering of color is crucial in the way I work with both fiber collage pieces and colored pencil drawings."


Visit the gallery's blog at: fsgalleryvt.wordpress.com for more images.

Furchgott Sourdiffe Gallery
86 Falls Road
Shelburne Village
contact: Joan@fsgallery.com
Phone: 802-985-3848

Hours: Tue-Fri 9:30-5:30 and Sat 10-5.