Saturday, April 21, 2012

PRESS RELEASE: Hal Mayforth at Studio Place Arts in Barre


My Sketchbook Made Me Do It:
Sketchbooks and Paintings by Hal Mayforth


April 17 - May 27
3rd Floor Gallery, Studio Place Arts

Opening Reception April 27, 7-9 PM during the Annual SPA BASH (a ticketed event; more information at SPA website)


Artist's Statement: I set aside time every morning to draw and brainstorm in my sketchbooks, which I started in earnest in 1973. From these sessions, concepts for paintings emerge; ideas are formed by my love of petroglyphs of the Southwest, outsider and self-taught artists, sideshow banners, vintage cartoons and comics and automatic drawing. What holds these influences together is a certain off-kilter sensibility that I am told goes way back many generations in my family history.