Friday, August 31, 2012

MONTPELIER: Ted Zilius at Local 64


An exhibit of works by Ted Zilius, Painting or Collage opens with a reception for the artist on Friday, September 7 from 6:00-7:00PM at Local 64.

There aren’t too many artists who can reflect some of the materials, techniques, and energy of the late Robert Rauschenberg in an authentic voice. Ted Zilius has got to be one of them.A designer and homebuilder who has worked in Vermont for many years, Mr Zilius produced a series of “collage paintings” on wood panel during the late 1990’s. These works, on view at Local 64, reflect an engagement with the world as much as his media.

“I look at art. I read about art. I wonder what it is. What makes it Art? I imitate, I copy, I try many styles, many ways. I paint, I draw, I construct.” Mr Zilius has said about his work. This pushing and pulling, stretching and asking - a highly dynamic inquiry - is reflected in all of Ted’s work. Working a range of materials - paper, paint, rubber cement, tin cans - with equally diverse tools - a squeegie, brush, stencils, a hammer - Ted has produced a body of work that is as visually arresting as it is technically  well-executed.

In describing his work, Ted states, “I make pieces that include many things for the viewer to react to: color, image, words, and anything else that comes to mind, or even happens accidentally, without forethought. It’s after a piece is completed that it starts to make sense, to create its own story, to tell me what it’s about.”

Local 64 is a coworking hub and creativity incubator in downtown Montpelier with a mission to serve as a platform for presentation and discussion around the arts, culture, and technology in Central Vermont. Learn more at local64.com.

Image: Detail of a work by Ted Zilius