Thursday, June 21, 2012

PRESS RELEASE: Monique Dewyea at Emile A. Gruppe Gallery in Jericho

Monique Dewyea:
Florals and Landscapes in Watercolor

Show runs through July 15, 2012
Artist Reception: Sunday June 24,  1 pm - 3 pm

Biography - Monique M. Dewyea
Since my childhood, nature, and in particular flowers, have tweeked my imagination and have led me to study Biology and read extensively about plant life. I find it most fascinating to grow flowers and vegetables from seed and observe the magic of life’s evolution. The leaves and flowers are wondrous to behold, but, oh! the added bonus of fragrance is transfixing. I spend a lot of time tending to my gardens and photographing my blooms which I then use as subjects for my art.

I am a self-taught watercolor artist. The joy of learning new approaches, of watching the intriguing flow of paint, and of capturing light on paper mesmerize me. Of late, I have challenged myself to painting en plein air and relish the peaceful settings of landscapes that these venues offer.

My work has been exhibited at Bryan Memorial Gallery in Jeffersonville, Phoenix Book Store / Gallery in Essex, Champlain Valley Exposition in  Essex Jct., and the Village Frame Shop /  Gallery in St. Albans. Sales of my art have been through these sources as well as privately.

As I am now retired from my professional years of nursing, I have unique moments to develop my florals and scenes in permanence as aquarelles, graphites, and/ or colored pencil drawings. What a ride!