Tuesday, June 19, 2012

PRESS RELEASE: Robert Selby at the SEABA Gallery Hallway in Burlington


Robert Selby will be exhibiting at the SEABA Gallery Hallway at the SEABA offices on Pine Street in Burlington from July 6 until August 31st.

Robert Selby’s bio:
I was born at a very early age and began drawing soon thereafter.  Raised and educated in North Carolina, I moved north after college graduation.  After a period of free-lancing as an illustrator for the Boston Globe and Yankee Magazine, I took a position as a staff artist and illustrator for the Providence Journal that spanned the next twenty years.  My work for the newspaper took me to places as disparate as the homeless shelters of Providence and the twelve-meter yachts of Newport to relief agencies in Guatemala and the U.S. Supreme Court.  I managed to garner illustration awards from the Associated Press, the Society of Illustrators of New York and the Society of Newspaper Design among others, and my paintings are included in collections at the Block Island Historical Society and the John Hay Library of Brown University.

It was during my time as a staff illustrator that I was invited to teach courses at the Rhode Island School of Design, which I pursued for fourteen years.  In 1993, I received a Fulbright grant to conduct research on the history of caricature and graphic humor in Madrid Spain.

I left the Providence Journal for a full-time position at the University of Massachusetts/Dartmouth in 1995.  At the turn of the millennium, however, my wife and I were able to realize a long held dream and relocated to Vermont.  We have since been happily ensconced in a former mill site home by the waterfalls of Waterman Brook in Johnson.

In 2002, I began teaching part-time at Champlain College in Burlington and I am currently teaching there full-time in the Graphic Design and in the Game Art and Animation programs.  I spend my summers painting and sculpting.